[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sun Dec 22 13:57:09 UTC 2002

>  > Not really. You have to analyse the whole of the subsequent
>>  Langobardic history, to understand that it was common practice to
>>  integrated the bulk of the survivors of a defeated enemy into  the
>>  own ranks, especially and explicitly among the Langobards. The
>>  wording in the sources (about royal insigia etc.), plus the
>>  subsequent events show that this is what has happened also after
>the
>>  defeat of the Heruls. See, for example, W. Pohl 'Die
>>  Voelkerwanderung', 2002, for a full analysis of these events.
>>  However, if you have evidence to support your view that Wacho
>assumed
>>  the royal Herulian insignia only to claim overlordship over 3
>>  remaining Heruls, I would be interested to know what this is;-)
>
>Sorry - maybe they were 4. This does not tell us much as it is
>evident that members of these migration- and mercenarie people went
>into the service of each other and were married to each other all the
>time.
>
>Odoaker was called Rex Herulorum, but he was not the king of the
>Herulian people. Julian II and his follower called themselves
>Erulicus, but when Narces and the Lombards/Awars defeated the Heruls
>in 567 AD, most of them were probably killed or integrated among the
>Lombards and Awars in the regions where they were defeated as we did
>not hear about refugees. Few years ago the Danish Queen gave up her
>title "Queen of the Goths and Wends". I am sure Tore never regarded
>her as his queen.

You are right.
The Gotlandic people were a country ruled directly under the Danish
king from about 1530 and became a Swedish colony first in 1679.
During that time the Gotlanders paid allegiance to the Danish king.
When the Danes after a short Swedish rule came back in 1676 they were
welcomed as liberators.

After Gotland became a Swedish colony 1679 it was a forgotten country
and it took until the 1850's until a Swedish king visited Gotland.
It was only in connection with the Krim war that Gotland became interesting.
In 1809 the Swedes had tried to give Gotland away to the Maltezer orden.

In the thinking of that time there were difficulties to accept that a
small country should be allowed to rule itself.

The Swedish administrators that were sent to Gotland to rule it
considered the appointment in a similar way that they should have
been sent to Siberia.

I ma sure we can apply this thinking on older times also.
The pattern does not change.

Tore