[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity and elves

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Dec 23 12:04:56 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Einar Gunnar Birgisson
<einarbirg at y...>" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
> <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >
> Hi Dirk
> I think Albareik has presented very good and convincing arguments
> and done so in a balanced manner. I am neither pagan nor Christian
> and I dont care if the Goths in the period in question were devoted
> Christians or not. I feel that the situation was a little bit more
> complicated than some will have us to believe and therefore welcome
> the balanced account of Albareiks and his arguments.
> After following the discussion I can see nothing against the idea
> assume it as a possibility that the pagan Heruli who migrated to
> Scandinavia in the beginning of the the 6th century could have been
> carriers of ancient Gothic pagan traditions to some degree.

Hi Einar,

if you are content to maintain a notion that lacks any evidence, you
can certainly maintain this view. But you should also consider the
arguement that were brought forward on the other side of the debate.

> Regarding Gothic Christianity! Can we learn anything from the
> present! In my country (Iceland) Christianity is the State religion
> and there are churches spread all over the country. Even so then
> only a small minority of the nation is devoted Christians. And
these
> devoted Christians are divided in many groups, each following their
> own doctrine. According to research and statistics then the
majority
> of people up here dont believe in the Christian doctrine (which in
> many cases they have no knowledge of) but believe in the law of
> karma, being reborn, believe in elves, other dimensions or simply
> are atheists.

Whaaaat? The majority of Icelanders believe in elves and other
dimensions?????????????????????

> Though most agree there might be some higher spiritual
> beings around somewhere.

Elves?????? you mean like in fary tales??????

> The religious minority though turns a blind eye to this and wants
> picture the nation as devoted Christians.

But elves, for crying out loud!!!! Surely nobody beyond the age of 4
believes in elves???

> Not long ago the Church was a powerful authority in society. Did
> people have a choice! Regarding the Goths, was it different back
> then!

You mean elves, like those little creatures with pointed ears????

> Excuse me but I have a few words on Ynglingasaga which I have
> compared to the account of Procopius (in letter 6762).

.... sorry can't read on, must recover from the elves-shock first!

> It seems to
> be accepted that Ynglingasaga is to a large degree based on the now
> lost Skjoldungasaga.

Did that include elves as well?????

> It is naturally not known how much.

How many, you mean elves?

> According
> to N.C.Lukman then the Skjoldungs were the Heruli. Lukman's fine
and
> extensive research has caused much controversy. The prominent
> Norwegian scholar Claus Krag does accept Lukman's conclusions as I
> have pointed out before.

Yes, but does Claus Krag also believe in elves????

 Therefore there is a reason to believe that
> a part of the Heruli history might be found in Ynglingasaga (all
> mixed up naturally).

Naturally, I think anybody who believes in elves would get things
mixed up!!!

> Naturally the attension turns to the arrival of
> the southern tribe into the Mälar valley

I think if I believed in elves I would naturally turn to the Maelar
valley as well, but only then.

> described in Ynglingasaga.
> I wanted to add this info

The info about Icelanders and their elves-religion will sustain me
over the holidays, I'm sure;-)

> but not start a thread as it is
> unappropriate on this list

Yes, but perhaps there is an elves-L discussion list.

>and I have nothing more to add at the
> moment.

Sorry Einar, no hard feelings, we city-slickers can be cruel;-)

All the best from London

Dirk

But elves???