[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity and elves

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 23 15:13:03 UTC 2002

--- "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at smra.co.uk>"
<dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Einar Gunnar
> Birgisson
> <einarbirg at y...>" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > Hi Dirk
>> > Regarding Gothic Christianity! Can we learn
> anything from the
> > present! In my country (Iceland) Christianity is
> the State religion
> > and there are churches spread all over the
> country. Even so then
> > only a small minority of the nation is devoted
> Christians. And
> these
> > devoted Christians are divided in many groups,
> each following their
> > own doctrine. According to research and statistics
> then the
> majority
> > of people up here dont believe in the Christian
> doctrine (which in
> > many cases they have no knowledge of) but believe
> in the law of
> > karma, being reborn, believe in elves, other
> dimensions or simply
> > are atheists.
>

> Whaaaat? The majority of Icelanders believe in elves
> and other
> dimensions?????????????????????

*****GK: Merry Christmas to Einar and Dirk. But I
don't think that Einar said that a majority of
Icelanders believed in elves. His listing should
rather be interpreted as intimating that SOME
Icelanders believe in "karma", others in "being
reborn", still others in elves, others yet in "other
dimensions", and still others are atheists. And I'm
sure the list is far from exhaustive. I think that if
you examined the "beliefs" of many modern populations
you would find the same kind of (sometimes very odd)
heterogeneity of "beliefs".******