[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity and elves

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Dec 24 09:23:33 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "AElfric and Ursula" <amali at s...>
wrote:
> <<But elves, for crying out loud!!!! Surely nobody beyond the age
of 4
> believes in elves???>>
>
> I don't know whether or not there are any Icelanders on this list
whose religion is based on elves.  However, if there are any such
people here,  I can assure everyone that the above statement by Dirk
would have deeply offended any such Icelanders.

It was a joke, based on what I thought was a joke by Einar. You are
not suggesting that there are really adult Icelanders who follow
something like an elves-relgion?

> To state the obvious, many Christians do not take Pagans seriously,
just as many Pagans do not take Christians seriously, and many
Atheists take neither Christians nor Pagans seriously.

Again, the elves thing was a joke, based on a humorous remark by
Einar. We were just exchanging jokes!!!!

> Nevertheless, listmembers, regardless of their beliefs, will
>refrain from making insulting, demeaning derogatory or otherwise
offensive comments about the beliefs or practices of ANY religion.

There is no elves-religion!!! Come on, little men with pointed ears? -
 it was a joke!

> This important element of appropriate list conduct will be strictly
upheld.

But the odd joke about a non-existant religion should be permitted:-)
I just had a look at the official Icelandic statistical web-site,
mentioning all confessions there, but no elves-religion. So no
unintended offence comitted! However, if there are any serious
believers in elves around (also the believers in gnoms, trolls, and
dwarfs are included), Icelandic or otherwise, who were offended by my
joke, I extend my full and sincere appology. Geeze, you can't be
careful enough these days.

Cheers