[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity and elves

Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.com> einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 24 15:25:27 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Einar Gunnar Birgisson
> <einarbirg at y...>" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
> > <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >
> > Hi Dirk
> > I think Albareik has presented very good and convincing
arguments
> > and done so in a balanced manner. I am neither pagan nor
Christian
> > and I dont care if the Goths in the period in question were
devoted
> > Christians or not. I feel that the situation was a little bit
more
> > complicated than some will have us to believe and therefore
welcome
> > the balanced account of Albareiks and his arguments.
> > After following the discussion I can see nothing against the
idea
> > assume it as a possibility that the pagan Heruli who migrated to
> > Scandinavia in the beginning of the the 6th century could have
been
> > carriers of ancient Gothic pagan traditions to some degree.
>

> Hi Einar,
>
> if you are content to maintain a notion that lacks any evidence,
you
> can certainly maintain this view. But you should also consider the
> arguement that were brought forward on the other side of the
debate.

>#### Hi Dirk
   I feel that some who have opposed the  arguments of Albareiks
have presented their arguments (or often rather their opinion
without arguments)in a rather unbalanced and a not so neutral
manner. The information Ingemar has presented for us has been
supporting Albareiks arguments. In my view then Albareiks arguments
stand mostly unchallenged.###

> Sorry Einar, no hard feelings, we city-slickers can be cruel;-)

### I have absolutely no hard feelings towards you nor am I the
sensitive type. I was rather surprised reading your letter. I would
also rather think I was a city-slicker myself as I live in a city
(indeed a very small one, just about 180,000 people). I have stayed
in numerous large cities on all Continents except South America and
I have completely failed to notice that city-dwellers are more cruel
than the rest of the lot.

Regarding your letters discussing the elves.
This is naturally a complex issue and I was not joking. There are no
elves-religion in Iceland, that I know of. Nevertheless many
Icelanders believe that elves do exist. I think the possibility is
there. I once knew a man who was a gardener and he was able to see
these small "people". I never found a reason to question his
integrity.
Basically people who are non-Christian do seem to perceive natural
phenomena differently from devoted Christians. Their World Picture
do seem to be somewhat more complicated than of devoted Christians.
More grey-colors than just the black and white ones. I sometimes
have problems believing that devoted Christians really are serious
about the soundness of the doctrines they promote. That does not
mean they are not sound; just that people understand complex
religious matters differently and perceive things differently.

Best regards Einar###