[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity and elves

Sahin Ahmet ahmetsahinn at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 25 14:41:32 UTC 2002

would somebody explain what is "elves religion" please?
I may have missed the beginning of the discussion. What is "elves" in meaning.
<dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "AElfric and Ursula" <amali at s...>
> wrote:
> > <<But elves, for crying out loud!!!! Surely nobody beyond the age
> of 4
> > believes in elves???>>
> >
> > I don't know whether or not there are any Icelanders on this
list
> whose religion is based on elves.  However, if there are any such
> people here,  I can assure everyone that the above statement by
Dirk
> would have deeply offended any such Icelanders.

> It was a joke, based on what I thought was a joke by Einar. You are
> not suggesting that there are really adult Icelanders who follow
> something like an elves-relgion?

I have personally met a few adult Icelanders who actually believe in
elves. A nice documentary film on the subject was made a few years
ago, though unfortunately I can not remember the name of the director
or even the film itself.

> > To state the obvious, many Christians do not take Pagans
seriously,
> just as many Pagans do not take Christians seriously, and many
> Atheists take neither Christians nor Pagans seriously.

> Again, the elves thing was a joke, based on a humorous remark by
> Einar. We were just exchanging jokes!!!!

> > Nevertheless, listmembers, regardless of their beliefs, will
> >refrain from making insulting, demeaning derogatory or otherwise
> offensive comments about the beliefs or practices of ANY religion.

> There is no elves-religion!!! Come on, little men with pointed
ears? -
>  it was a joke!

Maybe not a religion, but people most certainly believe in them...