[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Dress

ingemarn2000 ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Wed Feb 6 02:46:14 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> Here is the URL to a page (in German) which shows on top a picture of
> one of the famous mosaics from San Apollinare, Ravenna. The text
> draws attention to the fact that the three persons in the middle of
> the picture (i.e. the 3 holy kings) are dipicted in trousers, with
> cloaks and so called Phrygian caps. The text states that this is
> probably typical Ostrogothic dress of the early 6th century, as
> opposed to the other figures, who wear classical Roman dress.
> Interestingly, Amalasuintha was also depicted wearing this Phrygian
> cap, which might indicate that the text is right and Goths wore this
> type of headdress.

Hi Dirk!

Thank you for this information. I have since long beleived the
Sparlösa rune-stone in Västergötland to depict a Gothic Arian motif
with a cathredal, a ship with crossed sail, two gothic peacocks and a
rider hunting with  a phrygian cap on his head and a sword pointing
tovards a beast- jaguar or something - and followed by a dog. Now it
is confirmed he wears a Gothic cap. This means Christianity  might
have arrived in Sweden already in the 6th century among individuals
just as I have since long claimed.The stone is however dated till 9th
century which is  evidently dubious now. It is written in the young
futhark but a lot of the writing is corrupted and impossible to read.
 There is one known younger inscription also. Maybe there is an older
writing in the corrupted part. A mystery indeed.

Kindly
Ingemar

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM