[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Dress

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Feb 6 11:15:11 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "ingemarn2000" <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Here is the URL to a page (in German) which shows on top a
picture of
> > one of the famous mosaics from San Apollinare, Ravenna. The text
> > draws attention to the fact that the three persons in the middle
of
> > the picture (i.e. the 3 holy kings) are dipicted in trousers,
with
> > cloaks and so called Phrygian caps. The text states that this is
> > probably typical Ostrogothic dress of the early 6th century, as
> > opposed to the other figures, who wear classical Roman dress.
> > Interestingly, Amalasuintha was also depicted wearing this
Phrygian
> > cap, which might indicate that the text is right and Goths wore
this
> > type of headdress.
>
> Hi Dirk!
>
> Thank you for this information. I have since long beleived the
> Sparlösa rune-stone in Västergötland to depict a Gothic Arian motif
> with a cathredal, a ship with crossed sail, two gothic peacocks and
> rider hunting with  a phrygian cap on his head and a sword pointing
> tovards a beast- jaguar or something - and followed by a dog. Now it
> is confirmed he wears a Gothic cap. This means Christianity  might
> have arrived in Sweden already in the 6th century among individuals
> just as I have since long claimed.The stone is however dated till
9th
> century which is  evidently dubious now. It is written in the young
> futhark but a lot of the writing is corrupted and impossible to
read.
>  There is one known younger inscription also. Maybe there is an
older
> writing in the corrupted part. A mystery indeed.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hello Ingemar,

I would think that more evidence than a certain headdress is required
to overturn the dating of this stone. It is not even clear if the
Goths really wore these caps or if Amalasuintha wanted to be
particularly fashionable, or if these caps were fashionable in Rome
and Ravenna among all noble people, Goths and Romans.

cheers,

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM