[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Dress

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Feb 6 11:24:41 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "ingemarn2000" <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Here is the URL to a page (in German) which shows on top a
picture of
> > one of the famous mosaics from San Apollinare, Ravenna. The text
> > draws attention to the fact that the three persons in the middle
of
> > the picture (i.e. the 3 holy kings) are dipicted in trousers,
with
> > cloaks and so called Phrygian caps. The text states that this is
> > probably typical Ostrogothic dress of the early 6th century, as
> > opposed to the other figures, who wear classical Roman dress.
> > Interestingly, Amalasuintha was also depicted wearing this
Phrygian
> > cap, which might indicate that the text is right and Goths wore
this
> > type of headdress.
>
> Hi Dirk!
>
> Thank you for this information. I have since long beleived the
> Sparlösa rune-stone in Västergötland to depict a Gothic Arian motif
> with a cathredal, a ship with crossed sail, two gothic peacocks and
> rider hunting with  a phrygian cap on his head and a sword pointing
> tovards a beast- jaguar or something - and followed by a dog. Now it
> is confirmed he wears a Gothic cap. This means Christianity  might
> have arrived in Sweden already in the 6th century among individuals
> just as I have since long claimed.The stone is however dated till
9th
> century which is  evidently dubious now. It is written in the young
> futhark but a lot of the writing is corrupted and impossible to
read.
>  There is one known younger inscription also. Maybe there is an
older
> writing in the corrupted part. A mystery indeed.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hello again Ingemar,

I had a look at this rune stone:

http://home.no.net/ahruner/se-rune-sparloesa.jpg

I must say it requires a good deal of imagination to see the head
dress of the horse man as a Phrygian cap. Also, the sail of the ship
is a give-away that the stone cannot date to the 6th century, as
sails were not used on the Baltic Sea at that time.

cheers,

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM