[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Dress

jdm314 jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 7 17:15:41 UTC 2002

> Hello Ingemar,
>
> I would think that more evidence than a certain headdress is
required
> to overturn the dating of this stone. It is not even clear if the
> Goths really wore these caps or if Amalasuintha wanted to be
> particularly fashionable, or if these caps were fashionable in
Rome
> and Ravenna among all noble people, Goths and Romans.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk

Yeah, this is a problem. The Romans seem to have depicted
pretty much ANYONE from "The East" as wearing the Phrygian
Cap. So as has been noted, the fact that the Magi wear it is no
surprise. I suppose the Goths might also be considered
Easterners, but that seems a little more shaky to me.
     In addition to Easterners, the Phrygian cap was worn by freed
slaves (hense its use in the French Revolution). Consequently,
at least in Classical times, the cap was something that the lower
classes wore with pride (to show that they were not slaves), but
which the upper classes would have looked down on.
     Of course with all the social changes going on in the later
periods, who knows? Perhaps it did become fashionable.

ÏUSTEINUS

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM