[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Gotlandic Sailing

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Feb 11 10:19:22 UTC 2002

>e type and sophistication of a seafaring people's shipbuilding
>  > traditions seems to be completely irrelevant to the question of the
>>  adoption of the sail: almost anything that can float, from a log
>raft
>>  to a reed boat or a dug-out canoe, can be, and has been,
>successfully
>  > saildriven."
>  >
>  > "The Franks and Saxons were also being joined by raiders from
>  > Scandinavia, for in c. 287 Maximian defeated a force of Heruls, then
>>  settled in Denmark, who had attacked the lower Rhine along with the
>>  Chaibones, probably the Saxon tribe of the Aviones."
>

>That is a mistake in the book. These are the western Heruls who lived
>somewhere at the Rhine, not in Denmark.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
Would be interesting to know your sources.
According to various skandinavien scolars the Heruls lived somewhere
north of Elbe in southern Denmark and followed the Goths to the Black
Sea.
Some of the Heruls seems to have stayed.

Haywood seems to be of that opinion also.

I can't argue the one way or the other, just reading the opinion of
the scholars.

Tore