[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Gotlandic Sailing

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Feb 11 10:51:02 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >e type and sophistication of a seafaring people's shipbuilding
> >  > traditions seems to be completely irrelevant to the question
of the
> >>  adoption of the sail: almost anything that can float, from a log
> >raft
> >>  to a reed boat or a dug-out canoe, can be, and has been,
> >successfully
> >  > saildriven."
> >  >
> >  > "The Franks and Saxons were also being joined by raiders from
> >  > Scandinavia, for in c. 287 Maximian defeated a force of
Heruls, then
> >>  settled in Denmark, who had attacked the lower Rhine along with
the
> >>  Chaibones, probably the Saxon tribe of the Aviones."
> >

> >That is a mistake in the book. These are the western Heruls who
lived
> >somewhere at the Rhine, not in Denmark.
> >
> >cheers,
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> Would be interesting to know your sources.
> According to various skandinavien scolars the Heruls lived
somewhere
> north of Elbe in southern Denmark and followed the Goths to the
Black
> Sea.
> Some of the Heruls seems to have stayed.
>
> Haywood seems to be of that opinion also.
>
> I can't argue the one way or the other, just reading the opinion of
> the scholars.
>
> Tore

Tore,

did you follow the discussion with Andreas Schwarcz on the Germanic-
L? He stated clearly that there is not a single source at all
supporting the view that Heruls lived in Scandinvia prior to about
512AD. Andreas provided all the relevant literature and the latest
interpretations. I have nothing really to add to that and it looks
that Haywood is simply wrong here.

Dirk

> --

Monitoring Service trial