[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Gotlandic Sailing

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Feb 11 11:15:12 UTC 2002

>  >
>>  Dirk,
>>  Would be interesting to know your sources.
>>  According to various skandinavien scolars the Heruls lived
>somewhere
>>  north of Elbe in southern Denmark and followed the Goths to the
>Black
>>  Sea.
>>  Some of the Heruls seems to have stayed.
>>
>>  Haywood seems to be of that opinion also.
>>
>>  I can't argue the one way or the other, just reading the opinion of
>>  the scholars.
>>
>>  Tore
>

>Tore,
>
>did you follow the discussion with Andreas Schwarcz on the Germanic-
>L? He stated clearly that there is not a single source at all
>supporting the view that Heruls lived in Scandinvia prior to about
>512AD. Andreas provided all the relevant literature and the latest
>interpretations. I have nothing really to add to that and it looks
>that Haywood is simply wrong here.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
Yes I follow the discussions and see most of them as contribution to
discussions. From that new ideas open up which is healthy for further
research.

All the old scholars can't be wrong. It is a common understanding in
Scandinavian literature that the Eruli originated from southern
Denmark before they joined the Goths at the Black sea.
I have to keep this as an open end.

Tore