[gothic-l] Re: Eruli in the West

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Wed Feb 13 17:21:57 UTC 2002

On 13 Feb 2002, at 16:01, troels_brandt wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> > as the grave goods in the
> > princely graves of Bohemia have some connection with Scandinavia.
>

> Dear Andreas
>
> Which graves are you referring to?
>
> Could this have anything to do with descendents of the Herulian
> general Phara (living around 534 AD), who according to Dirk became
> princes of Bohemia? There might have been connections between the
> Herulian groups.
>
> Kind regards
> Troels

Dear Troels,
I ment Blucina and Zhuran, cf. Tejral (ÖAWDphil 240, Wien 1990,
43 f.). Fara is said to be one of the forefathers of the Agilolfinger,
the dukes of the Baiuvari up to Charlemagne, at least according to
Wenskus RGA 1, 96 f. . But Bavaria is not Bohemia and  all
Bavarian dukes we know of were proper Catholic christians without
grave goods.
Kind regards
                 Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich