[gothic-l] Re: Eruli in the West

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Feb 14 08:09:57 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Always suspected you had a background in the travel
> agency business. Vienna stories combined with history.
> But I keep asking myself if no connection with Scandinavia? Where
> from? I think not only I but many others would like your
> professional opinion on that.
>
> Thank you for the extensive quotes from Taylor. Personally
> I have a copy of the article on the Eruli but it should
> certainly be of interest to others on the list. Naturally
> you are quoting what seems to support you opinions.
>
> "Keinen dieser Argumente ist zwingend". That does not mean
> convincing or anything else. That is imperative and of course
> neither you nor Taylor's opinions are imperative. In contrast
> to you, Taylor presents all alternatives and is making no
> opinionated judgements.

Even if you have no trust in Andreas' competency in history,
correcting the German of a German native speaker is hazardous to say
the least. 'Keines dieser Argumente ist zwingend', really means none
of the arguments convinces. Thus, Taylor is not presenting genuine
alternatives, but lists all arguments that were brought foreward to
connect the Eruli with Scandinavia in the past, but finds none of
them convincing. This is not even ambiguous, at least not for a
native speaker.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM