[gothic-l] Eruli in the West and in Scandinavia

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 14 17:13:48 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> The meaning of zwingend is for instance tvingande in
> Swedish.
> Zwingen=tvinga is also noedga, förmå, pressa and
> many other
> meanings but övertyga(nde) is not one of them.
> Tvingande in English is
> imperative, not convincing. Oevertyga is convince.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a German-English
> dictionary
> at hand, but maybe someone on the list has?

*****GK: "Zwingend" in my Cassell's German-English
Dictionary (p. 602 col.1) means: forcible, coercive;
cogent, compelling, convincing, conclusive.******

> Bertil Haggman
>
> > But your interpretation obviously suffers from a
> linguistical
> > misunderstanding of the German text. You should at
> least consider the
> > vague possibility of a mistake on your part, given
> that we speak
> > about the interpretational nuances of a text that
> is in a foreign
> > language for you, but native to Andreas and me.
> >
> > I am afraid we will have to disagree again; even
> on such a point.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM