[gothic-l] Whence the Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 17 16:21:29 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> Well, some even try to claim that the crews on
> the raid ships were non-Eruli and non-Goti,
> but you haven't yet arrived at that point.

*****GK: Since we weren't there we obviously don't
know the composition of the crew. To claim that the
crew on the commandeered Bosporan ships was
exclusively Gothic or Erulian is just as if not more
silly and chauvinistic as the claim that Goths and
Eruli were devoid of naval knowledge.******

 The
> Eruli and the Goti captured the Bosporan ships
> and used them in the raids, most likely.

*****GK: We don't know if they "captured" them. It is
entirely possible that they forced the Bosporans to
"work" for them.*****

> As you prefer to label all Scandinavian inter-
> pretations of the Eruli tradition in Scandinavia
> as "fantasy" this conclusion is near at hand.

*****GK: That is not true. I only label "fantasy" what
cannot be substantiated on the basis of the extant
evidence, or is categorically affirmed as certain
truth when at best it is but unconvincing
speculation.*****

Personally I prefer the assertion of
> taylor concerning the settlement area of the Eruli
> near the Black Sea.

****GK: Your personal preferences are no concern of
mine. I am interested in empirically verified or
verifiable propositions.******

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM