[gothic-l] Pre-Viking Raids and Verland

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 17 17:34:40 UTC 2002

*****GK: The point is that you don't understand the
ambiguities of Jordanes' Latin.*****

> As I know you cannot do your homework on
> Scandinavian
> sources anyway I find no reason here to provide any
> bibliographical information but instead I am
> providing
> a view on the Eruli from a Scandinavian history
> book:

*****GK: In other words you have no answer to
alternative understandings of the Jordanes text. I
think it's pretty clear by now just what sort of
scientifically insignificant dilettantism you profess.
I have no further interest in the "Annales
Bertiliani".******

(GK) Jordanes wrote in
> > Latin, not in English. What you have given us here
> is
> > not necessarily the view of Jordanes but that of
> > Mierow. Here is the text of Jordanes:
>
> As Andreas
> > pointed out to us, the "qui" may refer to either
> the
> > Danes or to the Eruli. In the former case, it
> would be
> > the Danes who would be claiming priority among all
> the
> > nations of Scandia for their tallness. Which would
> > obviously make the Danes a Scandian nation. If
> this
> > interpretation is correct, the status of the Eruli
> > would remain obscure. We don't need Jordanes to
> accept
> > the fact that the Eruli became a nation of
> Scandia:
> > Procopius is good enough for that. If "propriis
> > sedibus" refers to the territory where the Eruli
> > settled after 512, and from which they were
> ejected by
> > the Danes, then their continuing Scandian status
> > becomes problematic (we don't know WHERE they
> wound up
> > after being ejected). My point is that on the
> basis of
> > the ambiguous declaration of Jordanes we are not
> > entitled to affirm categorically that the Eruli
> were a
> > Scandinavian nation before 512, or that they
> remained
> > one after their expulsion. It is entirely possible
> > that they were. But we can't prove it on the basis
> of
> > Jordanes.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM