[gothic-l] Gothic Archaeology was Re: Whence the Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 20 13:36:12 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear George
>
> I completely agree with you and I think when
> considering different
> and opposing views it is useful to look at the
> history of the
> research on a certain question. Below I provide a
> summary of an
> article by J. Blischke, who provided an interesting
> overview of the
> history of archaeological research and
> interpretation of the problem
> of Gothic migration. The article is called "Die
> Wielbark-Kultur und
> die Problematik der Gotenwanderung", Archaeologische
> Informationen,
> 19/1&2, 1996, pp. 117-23.
/......../

> Blischke states that armed with this knowledge and
> new excavation
> data, scholars like V. Bierbrauer conducted what is
> seen as the most
> comprehensive of all research on Gothic archaeology
> (Fruehmittlealterl. Stud. 28, 1994, pp. 51.171,
> Peregrinatio Gothica
> III, 192, pp 9-43, Hoops RGA 'Goten' and other
> publications). He
> showed that archaeology can conclusively show that
> the Goths did not
> come from Scandinavia.

*****GK: Hello Dirk,
Something I meant to ask you earlier. Where does
Bierbrauer stand on the issue of the so-called "East
Pomeranian" or "Weiger-Krotoshin" culture, which was
an offshoot of the Lusatian culture, flourished in
much of Poland in ca. 600-200 BC (NB- It is sometimes
also called the "Face-Urn" culture) and became the
foundation of the Psheworsk culture? Does he consider
this "Face-Urn" culture to be proto-Germanic?******

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM