[gothic-l] Gothic Archaeology was Re: Whence the Eruli

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Feb 20 17:39:58 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Dear George
> >
> > I completely agree with you and I think when
> > considering different
> > and opposing views it is useful to look at the
> > history of the
> > research on a certain question. Below I provide a
> > summary of an
> > article by J. Blischke, who provided an interesting
> > overview of the
> > history of archaeological research and
> > interpretation of the problem
> > of Gothic migration. The article is called "Die
> > Wielbark-Kultur und
> > die Problematik der Gotenwanderung", Archaeologische
> > Informationen,
> > 19/1&2, 1996, pp. 117-23.
> /......../
> >
> > Blischke states that armed with this knowledge and
> > new excavation
> > data, scholars like V. Bierbrauer conducted what is
> > seen as the most
> > comprehensive of all research on Gothic archaeology
> > (Fruehmittlealterl. Stud. 28, 1994, pp. 51.171,
> > Peregrinatio Gothica
> > III, 192, pp 9-43, Hoops RGA 'Goten' and other
> > publications). He
> > showed that archaeology can conclusively show that
> > the Goths did not
> > come from Scandinavia.
>
> *****GK: Hello Dirk,
> Something I meant to ask you earlier. Where does
> Bierbrauer stand on the issue of the so-called "East
> Pomeranian" or "Weiger-Krotoshin" culture, which was
> an offshoot of the Lusatian culture, flourished in
> much of Poland in ca. 600-200 BC (NB- It is sometimes
> also called the "Face-Urn" culture) and became the
> foundation of the Psheworsk culture? Does he consider
> this "Face-Urn" culture to be proto-Germanic?******

Hello George,

Bierbrauer makes no comments on this culture if I remember correctly.
One of the main authorities on the Przeworsk culture is K. Godlowski
and I shall check if he has anything to say about that. Godlowski's
publications on the Przeworsk cultur are highly recommended.

cheers,
Dirk

PS I hope your latest experience does not discourage you from further
participation on this list. I had many such encounters and was
actually given a lecture on how to interpret a German text only last
week. To see the comedy in that you must know that I am German ;-)

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM