[gothic-l] The Meaning of zwingend

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Feb 21 09:31:52 UTC 2002

This is unfortunately a misunderstanding. It was
not my dictionary, it was the dictionary of one Knysh,
who kindly volunteered the information to the list.
Even German-speakers can make mistakes.
The only one who can provide the exact meaning
of the word in its context is Marvin Taylor.

If you read a little further up in Taylor's article
on the Eruli in Hoops you will find: "Diese
Diskussion kann nich als absgeschlossen betrachtet
werden." That is the discussion on the Eruli origin
in Scandinavia. One cannot agree more with Taylor.
The twists and turns demonstrated underneath
are certainly not convincing. So the discussion goes
on even if there are attempts to declare it completed
and a few writings lately are declared as the end of
research on the Goths and the Eruli.

Bertil Haggman

> So even your dictionary showed that 'zwingend' can mean 'convincing'.
> Thus 'nicht zwingened' is not convincing, especially in the context
> of an argument. For a German-speaker reading this text no other
> interpretation is possible.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM