[gothic-l] Re: The Meaning of zwingend

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Feb 21 08:04:19 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Knysh actually very kindly helped to solve
> the problem of the meaning of zwingend.
> See underneath. There are obviously at
> least six meanings and if Taylor meant
> convincing he would probaly have written
> ueberzeugend.
>
> Med gotiska haelsningar
>
> Bertil Haggman
>

> > "Zwingend" in my Cassell's German-English
> > Dictionary (p. 602 col.1) means: forcible, coercive;
> > cogent, compelling, convincing, conclusive.

So even your dictionary showed that 'zwingend' can mean 'convincing'.
Thus 'nicht zwingened' is not convincing, especially in the context
of an argument. For a German-speaker reading this text no other
interpretation is possible.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM