[gothic-l] Przeworsk and Gothic Archaeology

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Feb 21 11:08:37 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> >
> > --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > > Dear George
> > >
> > > I completely agree with you and I think when
> > > considering different
> > > and opposing views it is useful to look at the
> > > history of the
> > > research on a certain question. Below I provide a
> > > summary of an
> > > article by J. Blischke, who provided an interesting
> > > overview of the
> > > history of archaeological research and
> > > interpretation of the problem
> > > of Gothic migration. The article is called "Die
> > > Wielbark-Kultur und
> > > die Problematik der Gotenwanderung", Archaeologische
> > > Informationen,
> > > 19/1&2, 1996, pp. 117-23.
> > /......../
> > >
> > > Blischke states that armed with this knowledge and
> > > new excavation
> > > data, scholars like V. Bierbrauer conducted what is
> > > seen as the most
> > > comprehensive of all research on Gothic archaeology
> > > (Fruehmittlealterl. Stud. 28, 1994, pp. 51.171,
> > > Peregrinatio Gothica
> > > III, 192, pp 9-43, Hoops RGA 'Goten' and other
> > > publications). He
> > > showed that archaeology can conclusively show that
> > > the Goths did not
> > > come from Scandinavia.
> >
> > *****GK: Hello Dirk,
> > Something I meant to ask you earlier. Where does
> > Bierbrauer stand on the issue of the so-called "East
> > Pomeranian" or "Weiger-Krotoshin" culture, which was
> > an offshoot of the Lusatian culture, flourished in
> > much of Poland in ca. 600-200 BC (NB- It is sometimes
> > also called the "Face-Urn" culture) and became the
> > foundation of the Psheworsk culture? Does he consider
> > this "Face-Urn" culture to be proto-Germanic?******
> >

> Hello George,
>
> Bierbrauer makes no comments on this culture if I remember
correctly.
> One of the main authorities on the Przeworsk culture is K.
Godlowski
> and I shall check if he has anything to say about that. Godlowski's
> publications on the Przeworsk cultur are highly recommended.

Hello George,

I had a look at K. Godlowski's study of the Przeworsk culture
called 'Die Przeworsk-Kultur' in 'Beitraege zum Verstaendnis der
Germania des Tacitus', part II, pp. 9-91.

Godlowski states that while the situation is very complex, there are
3 main components in the formation of the Przeworsk culuture.

1. The older and autochonous Pommeranian culture contributed to the
Przeworsk culture. This is evidenced by pottery styles and other
decorations. However, in some  areas the Przeworsk people lived side-
by-side with the Pommeranian culture, which is shown by neighbouring
cemetaries with different burial styles. The Przeworsk culture is non-
autonchonous in most of its later area of distribution.

2. Godlowski noted that there was a very significant impetus from
various Celtic cultural groups. This is mainly evidenced by the
burial custom (Brandgrubenbestattungen) of the Przeworsk culture and
by metal objects.

3. Godlowski stated that the Jastorf culture influenced the formation
of the Przeworsk culture. Godlowski stated that the Poienesti-
Lukashevka culture (which is related to Bastarni and Skiri) is now
certain to have originated from the eastern Jastorf areas around
Lausitz and Havelland. The movement or shift of these Jastorf people
through the developping Przeworsk culture led to a far-reaching
cultural exchange. In addition, the exact dating of the expansion of
the Przeworsk culture into the Wetterau region of West Germany is not
fully understood and might have had an effect on the formation of the
culture.

Overall, the Pommeranian culture was apparently a constituent part in
the formation of the Przeworsk culture. Godlowski also confirms that
the Prezeworsk culture was very closely related to the Okcywie
culture, i.e. the forerunner of the Wielbark culture.

cheers,

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM