[gothic-l] Re: Przeworsk and Gothic Archaeology

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Feb 22 08:06:47 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > > Hello George,
> > Hello George,
> >
> > I had a look at K. Godlowski's study of the
> > Przeworsk culture
> > called 'Die Przeworsk-Kultur' in 'Beitraege zum
> > Verstaendnis der
> > Germania des Tacitus', part II, pp. 9-91.
> /.../ The movement or shift of
> > these Jastorf people
> > through the developping Przeworsk culture led to a
> > far-reaching
> > cultural exchange. /.../> Overall, the Pommeranian
> culture was apparently a
> > constituent part in
> > the formation of the Przeworsk culture.
>
> *****GK: So basically Przeworsk = Pomeranian
> (aut.)+Jastorf (incoming)+La Tene (inc.)infl.? With
> Jastorf definitely Germanic, and La Tene Celtic, is
> the idea that the older autochtonous Pomeranian
> culture was "Germanized", or that it too was already
> Germanic?****

Hello George,

this is probably a very much simplified formula as Godlowski noted,
but the basic components are there. I also have a very good article
by Teresa Dubrovska (or similar) on the same subject. If I remember
correctly, she agrees with Godlowski. Dubrowska also investigates the
relationship with the Jastorf culture in more detail. She notes that
Jastorf also adopted a lot of Przeworsk elements.

As for linguistic/ethnic attributions for the Pommeranian and
Przeworsk culture Godlowski does not seem to make clear statements.
Przeworsk is believed to combine Germanic and Celtic elements often
seen as reflected in the Lugian and Wandalic tribal groups. For the
Pommeranian culture the question does alomst not arise, since we can
speak of Germanic only from about 600/500BC. Anyway, Godlowski does
not seem to treat it as Celtic, so by default it might be seen as
something like proto-Germanic, contributing to the emergence of
several Germanic cultures.

>  (DF)Godlowski
> > also confirms that
> > the Przeworsk culture was very closely related to
> > the Okcywie
> > culture, i.e. the forerunner of the Wielbark
> > culture.
>
> *****GK: Did Okcywie also absorb Jastorf elements? Or
> should it be considered an alternative Germanic
> "foyer"?*****

I don't know, Godlowski does not make any comments about that. Also,
Bierbrauer does not seem to link the two cultures explicitly, so I
suppose that there was no significant influence. I think it is very
problematic to mix in ethnic/linguistic terms like Germanic with
those material cultures.

cheers,

> http://sports.yahoo.com

Buy Stock for $4.