[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jan 2 08:42:07 UTC 2002

>  > Dirk,
>>
>>  The Odoaker-coin was my mistake reading "from Odoakers reign" as a
>>  coin of Odoaker. However if we only know 4 coins from Odoaker, who
>>  ruled Italy for 18 years, and we know a lot of solidi from his
>>  superior Byzantine emperor, there is no reason to expect a majority
>>  of Italian solidi among the Heruls in that period - and neither in
>>  the first period of Theodoric as the Heruls had supported Odoaker.
>

>Hi Troels,
>
>there are only about 3 to 4 coins in existence with the portrait of
>Odoaker (half/quarter siliquae, i.e. small silver coins). There are
>some more copper nummi with his monogramme. However, these coins were
>small change and of no particular interest to mercenaries etc. The
>main coinage of Odoaker was a gold coinage (solidi and tremisses) in
>the name of the emperor Zeno, but minted at Rome, Milan, Ravenna and
>some more Italian mints. His Herulic mercenaries would have received
>payment in this West Roman coinage not in East Roman (Constantinopel)
>issues. All solidi in Scandinavia, including the Basiliscus coin in
>the Ottar-mound, are from the mint of Constantinopel.
>

>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
The solidis found in Hungary where the Heruls stayed and were kicked
out by the Langobards are they also minted in Constantinopel?

Tore

Win a Capcom Console Game.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/smpz8B/fxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM