[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 2 09:07:17 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >  > Dirk,
> >>
> >>  The Odoaker-coin was my mistake reading "from Odoakers reign"
as a
> >>  coin of Odoaker. However if we only know 4 coins from Odoaker,
who
> >>  ruled Italy for 18 years, and we know a lot of solidi from his
> >>  superior Byzantine emperor, there is no reason to expect a
majority
> >>  of Italian solidi among the Heruls in that period - and neither
in
> >>  the first period of Theodoric as the Heruls had supported
Odoaker.

> >Hi Troels,
> >
> >there are only about 3 to 4 coins in existence with the portrait of
> >Odoaker (half/quarter siliquae, i.e. small silver coins). There are
> >some more copper nummi with his monogramme. However, these coins
were
> >small change and of no particular interest to mercenaries etc. The
> >main coinage of Odoaker was a gold coinage (solidi and tremisses)
in
> >the name of the emperor Zeno, but minted at Rome, Milan, Ravenna
and
> >some more Italian mints. His Herulic mercenaries would have
received
> >payment in this West Roman coinage not in East Roman
(Constantinopel)
> >issues. All solidi in Scandinavia, including the Basiliscus coin in
> >the Ottar-mound, are from the mint of Constantinopel.
> >

> >cheers,
> >Dirk
>

> Dirk,
> The solidis found in Hungary where the Heruls stayed and were
kicked
> out by the Langobards are they also minted in Constantinopel?
>
> Tore
> --

Tore,

I have an article summarising all Migration-Age coin finds in
Hungary/Slovakia. There are only very few (if any) solidi from
Hungary/Slovakia (i.e. Moravia). But I shall check this and let you
know later. One type of coin from this broader region are the
Ostrogothic coins from the mints of Sirmium and Siscia.

cheers,

Call any phone in the world with Crystal Voice PC to phone,
no monthly charge, $.39cents/minute to US. FREE trial.
Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/8SQRwC/VYfDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM