[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jan 3 03:07:58 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
Hi Troels,

> there are only about 3 to 4 coins in existence with the portrait of
> Odoaker (half/quarter siliquae, i.e. small silver coins). There are
> some more copper nummi with his monogramme. However, these coins
were
> small change and of no particular interest to mercenaries etc. The
> main coinage of Odoaker was a gold coinage (solidi and tremisses)
in
> the name of the emperor Zeno, but minted at Rome, Milan, Ravenna
and
> some more Italian mints. His Herulic mercenaries would have
received
> payment in this West Roman coinage not in East Roman
(Constantinopel)
> issues. All solidi in Scandinavia, including the Basiliscus coin in
> the Ottar-mound, are from the mint of Constantinopel.

The Herulian mercenaries of Odoacer got land as wages - or the income
hereof. How do you know in which coinage they got their income?
Furthermore this happened long time before a group of Heruls left for
Scandinavia. I regard the coin in Ottars mound as symbolic.

I do not believe the Pannonian Heruls were mercenaries of Theodoric,
as they did not go to Italy after their defeat - therefore a lot of
Italian coins are out of question. To my knowledge we do not know
where their tribute originally came from (it was probably second
hand), and I do not expect much of it to be found in Moravia - they
probably brought with them, what they were able to.

Troels

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!