[gothic-l] Re: Gothic connections

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jan 2 19:02:14 UTC 2002

>Hi Tore,
>
>I think this author is mixing up a few things. The Wysocka culture
>was never located in the lower part of the Vistula and is not the
>predecessor culture of the Wielbark/Willenberg culture in that
>region. The Wysocka culture was a late bronze age culture in the
>western Ukraine. It is inexplicable how the autor could make such a
>mistake. My literature recommendation on this subject would be Volker
>Bierbrauer's article on 'Gothic archaeology' in the Reallexikon der
>Germanischen Altertumskunde.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
You are quite right.
I contacted Anders Kaliff and he apologized for the mistake. It had
come into the manuscript by mistake.
This paragraph should not have been in the book. It should have said
those parts of the late Lausitz culture that inhabited the lower
Vistula area. He meant the Cassubiscan or east Pomerian culture group
which he mentions on the following page.

Good that we clarified that.
Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!