[gothic-l] Re: Gothic connections

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 2 12:11:36 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Hi Tore,
> >
> >I think this author is mixing up a few things. The Wysocka culture
> >was never located in the lower part of the Vistula and is not the
> >predecessor culture of the Wielbark/Willenberg culture in that
> >region. The Wysocka culture was a late bronze age culture in the
> >western Ukraine. It is inexplicable how the autor could make such a
> >mistake. My literature recommendation on this subject would be
Volker
> >Bierbrauer's article on 'Gothic archaeology' in the Reallexikon der
> >Germanischen Altertumskunde.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Hi Dirk,
>
> I found the following comment on the web.
>
> In Patrick Amory's People and Identity in Ostrogothic Italy, 489-
554.
> Cambridge 1997, I read a very severe criticism of Volker Bierbrauer
> (famous archaeologist of the Goths and the Lombards). According to
> Amory, Bierbrauer is working in the obsolete ethnic-ascription
> tradition (p. 333).
>
> Does any of you know if Bierbrauer responded to this criticism?
>
> Have you got any comment.
> Tore

Hi Tore,

the criticism against Bierbrauer is not against his findings and his
arguments as such, but against his assertation that some
archaeological cultures like Wielbark can be associated directly with
an ethnic/historic group like the Goths (and some other tribes).
Thus, Bierbrauer called one publication 'Archaeologie und Geschichte
der Goten' (or similar), while many archaeologist would argue that
the term Goths cannot be used in an archaeological context. My own
impression is that most of the time it is better not to ascribe
archaeological artefacts to ethnic groups. However, Bierbrauer uses
his ethnic attributions in fact very carefully. He argues that there
are cases were we can be relatively certain that a material culture
corresponds to an historical/ethnic group. Bierbrauer is, no doubt
the definitive author in this field.

cheers,