[gothic-l] Re: Gothic connections

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jan 2 09:32:02 UTC 2002

>Hi Tore,
>
>I think this author is mixing up a few things. The Wysocka culture
>was never located in the lower part of the Vistula and is not the
>predecessor culture of the Wielbark/Willenberg culture in that
>region. The Wysocka culture was a late bronze age culture in the
>western Ukraine. It is inexplicable how the autor could make such a
>mistake. My literature recommendation on this subject would be Volker
>Bierbrauer's article on 'Gothic archaeology' in the Reallexikon der
>Germanischen Altertumskunde.
>
>Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I found the following comment on the web.

In Patrick Amory's People and Identity in Ostrogothic Italy, 489-554.
Cambridge 1997, I read a very severe criticism of Volker Bierbrauer
(famous archaeologist of the Goths and the Lombards). According to
Amory, Bierbrauer is working in the obsolete ethnic-ascription
tradition (p. 333).

Does any of you know if Bierbrauer responded to this criticism?

Have you got any comment.
Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!