[gothic-l] Re: Gothic connections

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 2 09:02:18 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> I can recommend a new book "Gothic connections, Contacts between
eastern
> Scandinavia and the southern Baltic coast 1000 BC - 500 AD" by
Anders
> Kaliff   ISBN 91-506-1482-7 Department of Archaeology and Ancient
History,
> Uppsala University  Uppsala 2001
>
> "The subject of contacts between Scandinavia and the surrounding
world
> during the Bronze Age has often been discussed in archaeological
research
> of later years. Such contacts can be traced in different phenomena
and
> objects: the urn-burial custom, imported bronzes and the bronze
import in
> general, certain types of pottery, certain house types as well as
more
> outstanding und unique objects. The evidence of contacts especially
with
> the Lusatian (Lausitz) culture has been generally observed and is
the
> matter for an ongoing discussion...................The contacts
between
> Bronze Age Gotland and the Lusatian culture were noticed already by
H.
> Hansson in Gotlands bronsålder (1927). There is also evidence of
much more
> long distant contacts, for instance between Scandinavia and south-
east
> Europe, and with the eastern Mediterranean and Anatolia. Other
contacts
> could be shown with the Villanova culture of Italy and cultural
groups in
> central Europe. This cultural exchange has been interpreted as the
result
> of a well established network of contacts, probably held together by
> members of certain influential social groups in different cultures
(e.g.
> Larsson 1997; Kristiansen 1998)"
> "The ethnic affinities of the Lusatian people have long been of
dispute and
> the ethnic interpretation of the Lusatian culture has varied much
over
> time. Germanic, Thracian, Illyrian and Slavic people have been seen
as
> carriers of the Lusatian material culture."
> "The Lusatian culture in general is characterized especially by its
burial
> custom, with cremation burials in urns, often with deposited
vessels beside
> the urn, and pottery with special design. Even if it is not
possible to
> find an overall definiton in general, it is nevertheless possible
to find
> elements that distinguish it from other Urnfield groups. For the
typical
> Lusatian pottery Jan Dabrowski has suggested the term "Pottery of
Lusatian
> style" ("Stil der Lausitzer Keramik"), in the same manner as the
term
> "Hallstatt-style" is used. Cultural groups, with pottery fitting
into this
> defintion are found within the South Scandinavian Bronze Age
culture, as
> well as within the so called Knoviz-Milavce and Wysocko cultures,
in the
> eastern Lusatian periphery of Pomerania. (Dabrowski 1988, p.89) One
> possible interpretation of the Lusatian culture is an overall
regional
> culture, characterized by local traditons at the border between the
> continental Urnfield culture and the South Scnadinavian Bronze Age
culture
> (Bukowski 1988, p.15f, Gediga 1988, +.41f;Kristiansen 1998,p.73. The
> Wysocko culture was located just west of the lower part of the
Vistula
> basin, in the same area where the Wielbark culture is formed
centuries
> later."

Hi Tore,

I think this author is mixing up a few things. The Wysocka culture
was never located in the lower part of the Vistula and is not the
predecessor culture of the Wielbark/Willenberg culture in that
region. The Wysocka culture was a late bronze age culture in the
western Ukraine. It is inexplicable how the autor could make such a
mistake. My literature recommendation on this subject would be Volker
Bierbrauer's article on 'Gothic archaeology' in the Reallexikon der
Germanischen Altertumskunde.

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM