[gothic-l] Visigothic King Fridigern

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 3 06:58:33 UTC 2002

Oskar,

What is the proof that the there was not a Visigothic
king (Athanarich) around 366 AD. I think you have
to go back to the early history of the Visigoths and
their kingdom. It could be even earlier for the Visigoths.
Athanarich followed his Visigothic father Rotesthes.
My claim is that between 340 and 366 AD a Visigothic
kingdom started to form.

But then came the Hunnic attack. The Huns under their
Khan Balamber crossed the Volga in 376 AD and attacked
the Goths. The Gothic military leaders Hammo and Sarvs
were defeated and the Rosomons and the Alans were
subjected. Ermanarich is defeated on the River Don.
E. must be regarded as an Ostrogothic king.

I believe Jordanes desribes it in the following way:

Sunilda's brothers blame Ermanarich for her death (the
famous binding together with wild horses and ripped apart)
"and olunged a sword in Ermanarich's side. Enfeebled by
this blow he dragged out a miserable existence in bodily weakness.
Balamber, king of the Huns, took advantage of his ill health
to move an army into the country of the Ostrogoths, from whom
the Visigoths had already seperated because of some dispute."

According to Jordanes the Huns then subjected the Ostrogoths.
The Visigoths asked Emperor Valens to let them settle
in Thrace or Moesia.

Gothically

Bertil

> Fritigern and Alavivus became the leaders of a large group of Tervingi Goths after they had
> abandoned the rule of Athanaric. They arrived at the Danube (which is the exacy place?) sometime
> in 376 (anyone knows exactly when?) to seek refuge from the Hunnic conquest and find new lands under
> new leadership, but so did also a group of Greuthungi Goths lead by Alatheus and Saphrax (after Ermenaric's
> death). These were mainly the two groups that crossed the limes and later conquered Italy and sacked Rome,
> and made their way into Gaul and Spain; the two main groups later identified as Visigoths.
>
> My question was first and foremost about which sources mentioned Ostrogoths, Burgundians and Vandals as
> participating in the conquest of Radagaisus in 405/6 - not about who led the groups across Danube in 376 (obviously there
> were two groups but only the Tervingi was first admitted entrance) but rather if we can identify Visigoths/Ostrogoths as early as 410.
>
> Kindly enough both Andreas Schwarz and Dirk cleared the mist! And it is pretty anachronistic, as Schwarz noted,
> and I tried to figure out, to talk about Ostrogoths as early as 405. They did not crystallise too long before Theoderic
> entered Italy in 488/99.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!