[gothic-l] Visigothic King Fridigern

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 3 07:29:58 UTC 2002

Tore,

Wishing you a pleasant 2002. I am basing my
observations on Jordanes. A section of _Getica_
is headlined "The Divided Goths: Visigoths".
Jordanes used the term Visigoth around the
time of the subjection byt he Huns of the Ostrogoths.
See the sentences of Jordanes underneath:

"Cuius mortis occasio dedit Hunnis praevalere in Gothis
illis, quos dixeramus orientali plaga sedere et Ostrogothas
nuncupari. 131. Vesegothae, id est illi alii eorum socii et
occidui soli cultores,..." But it could well be that the term
was not invented until Jordanes wrote his _Getica_.

Gothically

Bertil
> When was the word Visigoth invented? I think it is very late. After
> various groups crossed Danube and formed on Roman soil.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM