[gothic-l] Re: Visi and Ostro

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 3 14:42:30 UTC 2002

Hi folks,

The discussion whether there were    Visi and Ostro already before the
sacking of Rome is  more academic than really vital. Before 376 we had
Greutungi (with some other allied tribes) which in fact respond to the
later name Ostro. In Dacia we had Vesi-Tervingi who later were called
Visi. Athanaric never was a king but a kindins and the first Visigothic
kingdom came with Alaric. The break between Greutungi (Ostro) and
Vesi(Visi) appeared probably around 269 but the kingship only continued
among Greutungi and allies. Theoderics later kingdom is something quite
else and comparable only to Alarics.

The statement that the generally known specific Gothic tribe was FORMED
at Weichsel is of course correct, but it does not say anything about the
general background of the different Gothic folks in  general. Even
Bierbrauer is not god.

Observe I have snipped all the endlessly repeated former messages
because I get so tired re-reading them all the time!

Gott Nytt År
Ingemar

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!