[gothic-l] Re: Visi and Ostro

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Thu Jan 3 17:47:29 UTC 2002

Hi Ingemar,

> Hi folks,
>
> The discussion whether there were    Visi and Ostro already before the
> sacking of Rome is  more academic than really vital. Before 376 we had
> Greutungi (with some other allied tribes) which in fact respond to the
> later name Ostro. In Dacia we had Vesi-Tervingi who later were called
> Visi. Athanaric never was a king but a kindins and the first Visigothic
> kingdom came with Alaric. The break between Greutungi (Ostro) and
> Vesi(Visi) appeared probably around 269 but the kingship only continued
> among Greutungi and allies. Theoderics later kingdom is something quite
> else and comparable only to Alarics.

What is you evidence for this? How are you able to identify the Visigoths of Dacia
as the same Goths in Gaul and Spain later? Pretty much the same question relates to
the Greuthungi and them responding to the term Ostro! I am searching for some continuum
between the Goths of the Black Sea and those of Italy and Gaul/Spain. I am just saying that
to me it seems that both Visigoths and Ostrogoths consisted of both of Tervingi and Greuthungi
elements, and that I find it oversimplied and pretty erroneous to make a relationship between
Tervingi and Visi and Greuthungi and Ostro.
Naturally I am interested in what evidence you back this up with!

> The statement that the generally known specific Gothic tribe was FORMED
> at Weichsel is of course correct, but it does not say anything about the
> general background of the different Gothic folks in  general. Even
> Bierbrauer is not god.
>
> Observe I have snipped all the endlessly repeated former messages
> because I get so tired re-reading them all the time!
>
> Gott Nytt År
> Ingemar

Best,
Oskar