[gothic-l] Visigoths and Ostrogoths

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 3 18:43:57 UTC 2002

Oskar,

Have already quoted Jordanes on the Ostrogoths
and Visigoths in the 4th century. But basically
I think the designations are unimportant. More
interesting is that two peoples emerged before
the Visigoths moved to Gaul and Spain.

I will let Ingemar explain this based partly, I guess,
on his excellent recent book on the Goths.

The question of the origin of the Goths has been debated endlessly on
this list. So far no complete evidence has been presented that
places the ethnogenesis of the Goths in northern Poland.
Lately the discussion has evolved into mentioning
names, which are supposed to provide the evidence for
this ethnogenesis. The fact is that further answers may
only be provided by the study of ancient DNA. Some
valuable research has been done in England and
and new evidence may be provided from archaelogical
research in Italy and Spain.

Ingemar's book _Goterkaellan - om goterna
i norden och paa kontinenten_ (2000) is providing a study that
points to a south Scandinavian origin. I would also like to
refer to the excellent _Schaetze der Ostgoten_ (1995), first
recommended to me by Tore. In the latter book there is strong
Polish support for the Scandinavian origin.

_Studia Gotica - Die eisenzeitliche Verbindungen zwischen
Schweden und Suedosteuropa_ (1972) can provide the interested
reader with information on the migration of the Goths from
south Scandinavia.

The story of the opposing views can be found in the archives
of this list which basically is a list for the Gothic language.

Gothically

Bertil