[gothic-l] Visigoths and Ostrogoths

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Fri Jan 4 05:29:44 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Oskar,
>
> Have already quoted Jordanes on the Ostrogoths
> and Visigoths in the 4th century. But basically
> I think the designations are unimportant. More
> interesting is that two peoples emerged before
> the Visigoths moved to Gaul and Spain.

They seem not too unimportant as you seem fond to make use of them,
and unfortunately I think, anachronistically. Both terms are used quite
frequently in different places, and I think it is time to clarify the issue - for
the sake of it! Considering that the migrations of the Goths, from the Black Sea
region and into the Empire, is of paramount historical importance I think it is of
great worth to get it right. It is important in excavating Gothic identity too if we are
able to discern Visigoths and Ostrogoths prior to the different kingdoms in Gaul/Spain
and Italy!

> I will let Ingemar explain this based partly, I guess,
> on his excellent recent book on the Goths.
>
> The question of the origin of the Goths has been debated endlessly on
> this list. So far no complete evidence has been presented that
> places the ethnogenesis of the Goths in northern Poland.
> Lately the discussion has evolved into mentioning
> names, which are supposed to provide the evidence for
> this ethnogenesis. The fact is that further answers may
> only be provided by the study of ancient DNA. Some
> valuable research has been done in England and
> and new evidence may be provided from archaelogical
> research in Italy and Spain.

I look forward to that!

*snip*

> Gothically