[gothic-l] The Second Great Gothic Kingdom in the East

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 7 14:50:26 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> For more on the thesis of the Second Great Gothic
> Kingdom of the East see "The Realm of the Rus' : A
> Contribution to the problem of the rise of the
> East-Slavic kingdom"
> by Stefan Soederlind, _Scandinavian Language
> Contacts_,
> Cambridge University Press, 1984.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil Haggman

******GK: This is not the first time Bertil Haggman
has attempted to push this notion. I wonder if anyone
else has commented on Stefan Soederlind's
"contribution". I have found the following item (By
B.H.) in the archive of the OldNorsenet List for 7
September 1996: cf.
http://www.hum.gu.se/arkiv/ONN/1996/ONN,01/0624.html

"At the beginning of the 3rd century after the=20
Gothic hordes had emigrated from the areas of=20
the lower Vistula to those of the Black Sea,=20
where they settled, the Foundation of the First=20
Great Gothic Kingdom in the east took place,=20
the most famous ruler of which was Ermanarik.=20
This kingdom was destroyed in battles against=20
the Huns between 370 and 380.*

After that some Goths emigrated westward and=20
other remained in the east. They were to=20
initiate The Foundation of the Second Great=20
Gothic Kingdom in the east after the fall=20
of the empire of the Huns. The tribes of the=20
Varangians and the Kolbjazi (Sw. kylfings)=20
were the foremost representatives of this=20
new kingdom. The Slavic neighbours and=20
subjects called their Gothic masters by a=20
common name: the Rus=B4=B4The Red-Blond People=B4.

According to Soederlind the Slavic name for=20
the Goths is formed with two variants from=20
Proto-Slavic stems (*rusu and *rudu (=B4red=B4).=20
This name began to spread among the Slavs in=20
the form of *Rusi and *Rudi (=B4the Red-Blond=20
(People=B4). This took place ca. AD 150 - 350=20
and around AD 400 - 600 the Goths in Russia=20
accepted the Slavic name for themselves, i.e.=20
Rus=B4.

***GK: No one on that list bothered to discuss these
"pearls", and I didn't find this particularly
surprising...The confusion is so enormous that one
doesn't know where to begin. Perhaps with the fact
that neither Jordanes/Cassiodorus nor Procopius know
anything about Gothic dominance in the East after
their defeat by the Huns?******

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!