[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jan 8 09:03:04 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> Thank You! Your answers have clarified a lot. I have only one more
> question regarding this subject: Where was the most northwesternly
> located Byzantine mint making solidi for the Byzantine emperor 450-
> 500?
>
> Troels

Troels,

the following link takes you to a map of the Byzantine/East Roman
mints.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/csr/nnc/byzant/imapmint.htm

The map states a timeframe from 498 to 1453. However, the main mints
were the same in the period 450 to 500. Of course, Carthage was ruled
by the Vandals at that time and the Italian mints were under
Ostrogothic control from 488 or so. Also, the mints of Sirmium in
Pannonia is omitted on the map. But it was a very minor mint and
operative only from about 504 after closing at the end of the 4th
century. Also, missing are most of the western mints of greater
significance, like Arles and Lyon, but especially Milan. Trier, which
was a major mint in the 4th century seized operations in the early
5th century. Also missing are all the Frankish and Visigothic mints
like Toulouse, Bordeaux, Cologne, Marseille etc.

I think it it fair to say that the vast majority of gold coins minted
in the 5th century would have been produced by Constantinopel,
Ravenna, Rome and Milan. Of these Milan and Ravenna would have been
the northern-most.

cheers,

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!