[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North - solidi

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Jan 7 19:04:14 UTC 2002

Dirk,

Thank You! Your answers have clarified a lot. I have only one more
question regarding this subject: Where was the most northwesternly
located Byzantine mint making solidi for the Byzantine emperor 450-
500?

Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> > Where do we find high concentrations of Theodoric coins outside
his
> > kingdom?
>
> The highest concetration of Ostrogothic coins and in particular
coins
> of Theoderic outside his kingdom is found in modern south and
western
> Germany and Eastern France. Several Merovingian coin series
> (trientes) from the Rhine area and northern Burgundy are based on
> Ostrogothic tremisses, showing that people there were accustomed to
> these coins and continued to mint them by themselves once the
supply
> from Italy had stopped after 550AD at the latest. These coins were
> found in very different contexts. For example the large number of
> Ostrogothic tremisses in the Klepsau cemetary were used as Charons
> pennies, while the hoard of Ostrogothic silver coins from Mengen
> might have been the purse of a merchant. Also, all 6th century
> Frankish solidi are based on Ostrogothic productions.
>

> > > The actual mint-attribution is very easy and
> > > undisputed. Most of the coins can be correctly attributed at
> first
> > > glance.
> >
> > Was the production of solidi concentrated at certain mints?
>

> No all 'official' Italian mints produced gold, silver and copper
> coins. One problem arises with coins from the Ostrogothic mint of
> Sirmium (since 504AD). Here mostly silver coins seemed to have been
> produced, although some crude and very rare tremisses may be
> attributable to this mint on the basis of style. M. Metlich of the
> Austrian Numismatic Institute is going to argue in his upcoming
book
> that these coins (the Ostogothic silver coins from Sirmium) are
> actually not from Sirmium, but from an unidentified mint under
> Gepidic overlordship (at least this is my understanding from a
> conversation with him). His argument is based on technical reasons
> (weights etc.) and seems to be convincing, because it would remove
> number of abnormalities in the Ostrogothic corpus. The Gepids
minted
> silver coins, based on Ostrogothic coins until the 560s.
>
> Dirk

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!