[gothic-l] Re: Scanza - Was: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 7 14:25:20 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>these may by old thoughts, but I don't think they are outdated. The
>key message is that different authors used the names Thule and
>Scandza for different geographical place and sometimes one and the
>same author was not consistent. Thus, people like Jordanes and
>Procopius had only a vague idea of the geographical situation in
>northern Europe and when they spoke of one place they were unsure
>whether to call it Scandza or Thule.
>
>The important bit is:" Procopius' Thule was merely an allegory for
>the various peoples of the entire Scandinavian peninsula compressed
>into a small, nearly barren island simply due to lack of perspective
>in terms of the land mass' circumference. For him, the midnight sun
>only took place at 40-day intervals instead of several months and did
>not necessarily adhere to a strict 24-hour schedule of complete
>sunlight or darkness without fail. Jordanes mentioned Thule among
>many other far-flung islands, but deliberately chose to disregard it
>as a populated area and homeland of the Goths in favor of Scandza in
>order to encourage of fusion of Gothic traditions with Roman
>traditions in terms of manufacturing a common culture and history
>(Jordanes,I.9)."
>
>As for Tacitus, I have to check this with the source. I may have made
>a mistake.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
What I oppose is that you don't analyze when Jordanes confuses Thule
with Scandzem and take it for granted that it must be the same place.

You are reapeating old misunderstandings when you just accept that
there was only one place in the Baltic. Archaeological finds says
something else.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!