SV: [gothic-l] Two Peoples

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jan 4 09:20:20 UTC 2002

Oskar,

Am sticking to the early split in the 3rd Century AD.
The events after the Edirne battle in 378 AD is described
thus by Professor Hermodsson:

"Daermed tycktes de oestromerska laenderna ligga
oeppna foer vaestgoterna, och liksom under tidigare aar
drog nu aaterigen gotiska skaror plundrande och haerjande
genom provinserna."

If we move ahead to 382 AD Hermodsson wrote:

"Det sloets aar 382 ett foerdrag mellan den romerska
staten och vaestgoterna, som föerpliktade sig att
staellas ina truppstyrkor till det romerska rikets tjaenst
i haendelse av yttre anfall. Vaestgoterna var därmed
aanyo foederati och fick aarliga subventionerna."

Vaestgoterna are of course the Visigoths. Hermodsson is
using the terms Eastern Goths and Western Goths.

Gothically

Bertil

These were both Tervingi and Greuthungi as far as I know. The basical tribal components that
later went to Italy, Gaul and Spain. But I consider labelling them Visigoths that early as
anachronistic - I am not sure to which extent they had merged into "one" tribe. Moreover it might
be downright wrong to assume this label prior to them entering Italy under Alaric. Or Gaul under
Theoderic I, as Andreas Schwarz tells.

Hermodsson goes further
> back, even to the 3rd Century AD referring to Visigoths
> already in 275 AD. The names differ, Visigoths, Ostrogoths,
> Tervingi and Greutingi. The latter were earlier designations
> that did not fit into the later migrations. They may have
> referred to "forest inhabitants" and "inhabitants of sandy or
> rocky ground".

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!