[gothic-l] Two Peoples

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jan 3 23:59:57 UTC 2002

>Andreas,
>
>Thank you for the detailed and interesting account.
>It reminded me of A.M.'s background, which I have
>quoted in contributions on the reason for the down-
>fall of the Roman empire in the west.
>
>If Alarich I is regarded as the first Visigothic king
>that leaves, in my opinion, only Athanrich and Fridigern,
>which could be regarded as leading a part of the
>Gothic people.
>
>Then we have to ask. Did they really lead the whole
>Gothic people 366 to 395 AD or were they leaders
>of the Visigoths.
>
>I think Professor Lars Hermodsson is correct when
>he wrote in his introduction to Gothic history that
>emperor Valens gave the Visigoths permission to cross
>the Danube. I agree completely with him and the Visogoths
>subsequently were those who defeated Valens at
>present time Edirne in 378 AD. Hermodsson goes further
>back, even to the 3rd Century AD referring to Visigoths
>already in 275 AD. The names differ, Visigoths, Ostrogoths,
>Tervingi and Greutingi. The latter were earlier designations
>that did not fit into the later migrations. They may have
>referred to "forest inhabitants" and "inhabitants of sandy or
>rocky ground".
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil

Bertil,

Hermodsson is a retired professor of German language who had the
Goths as a hobby and wrote the book after his retirement.
He has no foundation for Visigoths that early.
I have had correspondence with him and also met him personally.

Tore