[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Jan 4 15:01:56 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk,
I agree that Cassiodorus´s description of Scandza is a learned
compilation, but I follow Wolfram's suggestion that the written
sources were enhanced by the oral testimony of Roduulf. I see no
necessety of identifying the Scerefennae with the Finni at the end of
hte list. After all, we know (f.i. from the list of peoples under the rule
of Ermanaric) that finnic groups existed at this time far south of
Scandinavia even around today's Moscow and there is no reason
why there should not be more than one Finnic group in Scandza.
And a general orientation from north to south does not mean that
Cassiodorus got every detail into the right place, especially as he
combined different sources, written and oral ones, in his text.
Kind regards
         Andreas
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich