[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jan 4 15:27:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
> I agree that Cassiodorus´s description of Scandza is a learned
> compilation, but I follow Wolfram's suggestion that the written
> sources were enhanced by the oral testimony of Roduulf.

Dear Andreas,

this will probably never be decided, but I prefer the argument as it
is set out by J. Svennung and R. Hachmann. Given the crude and
rudimentary nature of the knowledge of Scandza as it is presented in
the Getica, I see no reason to assume a contemporary or near
contemporary eye-witness report, especially if Svennung's name-
emendations are correct.

cheers,

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!