[gothic-l] Re: On the Possible Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 7 07:24:35 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> Your difference with Andrzej Kokowski are noted
> and your preference for Heather and Wolfram is
> well known to listmembers.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

If you read Kokowski's main publications on the Goths
like "Archäologie der Goten: Goten im Hrubieszów-Becken"
or "Bestattungssitten der Goten am Beispiel des Friedhofs der
Maslomecz-Gruppe", etc. you will find that Kokowski does not differ
from Heather or Wolfram. His method, oulook and findings are very
similar to that of Bierbrauer. Kokowski clearly states that the
Gothic Wielbark culture originated in the area at the Vistula and
that the etnogenesis of the Goths took place in the same region.

Dirk
BTW Kokowski is co-author of an exhibition on the Vandals which will
start in March 2003 at the castle of Bevern near Bremen. The
exhibition follows on the exhibition on the Goths (Schaetze der
Ostgoten) which was held at the same place in 1995.

> my friend Andrzej Kokowsi, who is responsible for "Die Schätze der
> Ostgoten", is an excellent archeologist, but unfortunately not a
> historian and he did not use (and did not cite) Wolfram's and
> Heather's books on the Goths for his historic introduction, but
relied
> on older historic literature. In the archeological part of the
catalogue
> he follows the mainstream of modern Polish archeology and defines
> the Wielbark culture as autochthonous. His attempt to combine Ernst
> Schwarz and Wenskus as historians with his archeological expertise
> gives a misleading picture. It was a nice exhibition at Holzminden
> (and I gave a lecture on the history of the Goths there which gave
> slightly different view at least to the people who attended it),
but I
> would not rely on Andrzej Kokowski's historic introduction to the
very
> fine archeological catalogue he produced for it.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM