[gothic-l] Scanza - Was: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sun Jan 6 18:33:47 UTC 2002

>te them.
>  >
>>  It has by earlier Swedish historians been taken as an axiom that
>>  Gotland did not exist. You can see it on how they describe the
>>  Geography.
>>
>>  If one includes the archaeological finds in this analysis the above
>>  arguments make very good reason.
>>
>>  Just look at the map starting from the mouth of the Vistula.
>>
>>  Beginning of the 13th century an Englishman namned Barholomaeus
>>  Anglicus wrote an encyklopedi: "De proprietatibus rerum".  If you
>>  look at the word "Gothia" it says  "Huic regioni adiacet insula
>>  quedam nomine gothlandia, gothorum terra dicta que a gothis fuit
>>  antiquitus habitata."
>>

>Tore,
>
>If we accept your explanation that the island described in Jordanes
>III, 16-17 (1. sentence) was Gotland, which "Island" of Scanza did he
>then in your opinion describe in III, 19-23 and the rest of 17? Do
>you have 40 days of midnightsun in the northern part of Gotland, but
>nothing in the south? Do you have room for so many tribes at Gotland?
>Why do some of these tribes and the name of the "island" remaind us
>of Scandinavia?
>
>Troels

Troels,

In this case I fully accept the logic of Dirk.
Jordanes did not know the geografhy of the Baltic.

He has the tales about the great Scandza from where the Goths were
supposed to have originated.

He does only know that it is next to Thule.

Procopius knows about Thule and has informers amongst the Eruls. From
there he knows quite a few tribes.

When Jordanes writes he is confusing these two places and as the
Goths are a great people the place they originate from must also be a
great place. Further he is very vague about the placement of the
various tribes. This is an additional indication that he does not
know what he is talking about.

He thinks that Thule and Scanza is the same place although he in the
introduction has stated they were two places.

He thinks the two sources he has end up at the same place. They don't!!

He has some tribal names common with Procopius. Others he has
obtained from other sources.

The arechaeological finds are clear here.
Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!