[gothic-l] Goths in the East

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jan 10 09:13:01 UTC 2002

>Thank you for rendering your reading of the
>Nestor Chronicle. I have the latest Swedish
>translation at hand and it is distinctly different
>from you account. I think you have mixed things
>up:
>
>"Och de drog oever havet till varjagerna, till
>ruserna. Ty dessa varjager kallades ruser
>på samma saett som  andra kallas svear,
>andra aater normanner och angler och ytterligare
>andra foer goter - paa samma saett aeven dessa."
>(p. 27). So Varyagi, Rus, Swedes, Normans, Angles
>and Goths are mentioned in the same sentence
>here as peoples of a similar kind. Now, a people
>called the Rus has never been identified in Sweden,
>so ther has to be another explanation.
>
>The peoples you mention had representatives
>coming to the Rus asking them to bring order
>to their country. They were not Rus but exactly
>the tribes mentioned
>
>Bertil Haggman

Bertil,
Forget about Swedish translations.
I have long ago left them.
They are adapted to Swedish thinking and Swedish history.

If I read a Swedish translation I always go back to the original.

Many times the Swedish translation is done from an English
translation or a German translation.

Good advice look always at the original as far as possible.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!