[gothic-l] Goths, Eruli in the East

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jan 10 10:53:01 UTC 2002

Yes, Tore, I have been sceptic concerning the
Eruli influence around Lake Maelaren for years
but since I read  Barthi Guthmundsson's (former
Keeper of the National Atrchives of Iceland)
_The Origin of the Icelanders_ I have began
changing my mind. There is obviously an
East Scandinavian/East Germanic influence.

Guthmundsson presented (unfortunately he passed
away all too early in 1957) some weighty arguments
for what you mention. For instance G. mentions
gothi-dom (priesthood with secular leadership)
as not existing in West Nordic tradition.

An interesting point is also the fertility cult of
Frey that was prevalent on Iceland. That connects
well with the cult that prevailed among the Goths,
Eruli and others along the Baltic coast. Therefore
at least the leaders of the original Icelandic
immigration could be of East Scandinavian/
East Germanic origin and  it is to them we
maybe owe the Edda, the sagas. the skalds.

It would be interesting if you have any comments
on such a thread.

Gothically

Bertil

According to some theories the Heruls brought that religion with them
to the Lake Mälar Area in the beginning of the 6th century.