[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Eruli in the East

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jan 10 14:48:51 UTC 2002

>Hi Tore,
>
>the text above is very interesting. But if the Odin-religion was
>influenced or in its structure even based on the Christian church
>would this not be contradictory to your last statement that the
>Heruls were the carriers of this regligion? After all, these Heruls
>were apparently pagans, and according to Troels' theory, may even
>have left south-eastern Europe partly for religious reasons.
>
>Heike Steuer "Interpretationsmoeglichkeiten archaeologischer Quellen
>zum Gefolgschaftsproblem", has investigated archaeological evidence
>for 'Gefolgschaften'. He speculates about a possible link between
>Gefolgschaften and the Wodan/Odin cult. He links Gefolgschaften of
>the Migration Age to the so-called Ring-swords and ring-pairs that
>are attached to shields, drinking horns or other implements. These
>rings were added to the weapons at a later time, sometimes even
>damaging the original decorations, and sometimes they were forcefully
>removed. Steuer sees these rings and ring-pairs as some sort of
>Gefolgschaft-membership emblem. The earliest of these ring-swords
>appeared in the Rhine-Frankish areas, were they were preceeded by so
>called gold-handle-spathas. In the late 5th and 6th century the ring-
>swords spread over most of the pagan Germanic areas, possibly in
>parallel with the Wodan cult.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
No, it does not contradict my earlier statements. According to my
analyzis this religion was created by the Goths. Some of them became
Arians and others took this form of Religion. There are also Iranian
influences from Manikeism.

The Heruls stayed with the religion that we today call "asalära".

I have traced many Christian parallells in the Æsir religion. If you
read Beowulf you will also find the same there.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!